05-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #28
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
For all the people complaining about the FWD architecture of the F40/F44, I want to remind you about the target group of this vehicle: It is not you. It is not the person searching for the best performance car, the best drivers car. It is the group of young people, having a bit of money to spare, searching for a luxury car, that don't want to get their 7th civic, but want to experience a bit of change, higher quality and better user experience. And as always, a big company doesn't care about you, your feelings or your opininon (especially if you are not anywhere close to the target group of the product), literally the only reason why a company like BMW exists is $$$.

I think they did a great job to cater to those people, the car drives really good even tho it is FWD (of course nothing like a real RWD, but that's not the point), the interior is the best one in the market, not even the new A3 can compete against it.

Going FWD was the best decision for the F40/F44: Buyers of those cars (which is probably not you! Chances are high, you are searching for a RWD sportscar, if you are on this forum) don't care about driving dynamics, it's driving much better than a civic, so they are satisfied. People want a car with a lot of space, relatively cheap (compared to a higher series) premium car. Like 80% of all F20/F21 had the 16/18i engine, a 1.5l 3-cylinder with 116PS/134PS. I'd argue you can't even feel the difference between FWD and RWD with that low power.

I don't know why people are so blind and only care about their own opinion. I had this exact discussion in the M3 thread why BMW went with a converter auto and not a DCT. Yes, you want the DCT for better track use (or a RWD 1 series that isn't even sold in the US), but the truth is, you are not the target group. You wouldnt have bought the 1 series regardless of it having RWD or FWD.

I guess 90% of the buyers won't even care if their 3-series was FWD (Audi does sell quite a few of their cars even though they are FWD or have that fake quattro (Offtopic, but FYI even the A6 doesn't use torsen anymore)). You can start screaming once BMW changes the M3/M4 to FWD based, then they failed to cater the target group, unless it changes in the mean time.
Well said!

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
drexplode1779.00