03-16-2023, 03:51 PM   #15
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0RM3NT View Post
Yes, I think Cousins is solid and reliable and the comebacks you mentioned kinda dispute my thoughts on him being more of a game manager. There's just nothing about him, to me, that makes me go "wow!" That's just my opinion...it doesn't make it right, just an opinion. However, as you mentioned, with the defense the 9'ers have and the offensive mind of Shanahan, he could be special.

I'm slowly realizing how much we make out of players in the NFL being great or being good doesn't always hinge on just their individual talents. So much of it is the surrounding cast, the system they play in, their coaching staff, and the synergy with all of those above and more that can make a good player, great. And of course, it can also make a great player, good if they don't have the benefit of some or all of those factors.

It's part of what makes team sports so interesting/fascinating to watch, especially at the highest level.
1000% agree with that take about the supporting pieces. Think of all the stud QB's coming out of college that were drafted super high but never performed well in the NFL. How many of those were not because of the potential and talent of the player, but because the team they went to was garbage.....
T0RM3NT3712.00