View Single Post
      11-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
ddroze
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

Grinding like gravel when hard left, on right side. Not wheel bearing.

Ok, guys, I am stumped and so are the mechanics. 2009 335d.

When I make a decent left with some pressure pulling you to the right, it sounds like the front wheel side (could be rear?) grinds like a sound of sliding on gravel. Our guess was the wheel bearing was going bad. No matter how well i balanced the tires that side caused wobbling. That turned out to be the control arm bolt coming loose though so that part is fixed.

I put on new tires because i needed them anyway, so that's not it. I put on new rotors and pads with a Stop Tech kit because I also needed those, that's not it. I tried the wheel bearing AND hub combo, that's not it (unless its the rear and sound are traveling to the front.) No rubbing on tires from what i can tell. No rubbing in the wheel-well or on the wheels. This has been going on for i dont know, maybe a year?

Is there something ringing a bell here that someone has heard of or something common? If i turn from a light to the left, eventually i hit that apex and its like pressure/force then causes the sound. I can let up and steer into it a little and it stops then steer back and its back. It gets harsher as the force increases. Limited-slip but only when turning right? We are lost. I tried to record it but you cant hear it well.
Appreciate 0