jdr78569
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 328d sport wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr78569 View Post
Quick and easy. I have a fluid extractor I put in the dip stick.

Suck it all out

Remove oil filter right next to it

Suck out from filter housing

Install new filter and oil

Done.
Personally, I would never drain the old oil out that way. You will not get all the oil out, nor will you get the sedimentation that is sitting in the bottom of the sump.

The 'official' BMW kit includes a new sump plug washer or new sump plug (depending on year of car). Because that's the way it's supposed to be drained - through the sump plug.
To each their own in my opinion. I like the fluid extractor better. Your able to ensure your engine has no leaks at the same time as well as get out probably more oil. When you keep taking the pug in and out its great u replace the plug but u wear the pan itself thus having to replace it over time which is expensive. Also the plug isn't magnetic so it really has no purpose other than stopping the oil. Also with the pan u have a lining of fluid from the drain still and the oil filter doesn't drain

With the fluid extractor u get it all out from the bottom of the pan as well as all the fluid from the oil filter. All while not having to lift,jack,ramp your car. Honestly sounds like a better option to me. But if you like that way better that's your choosing.
Appreciate 0