View Single Post
      10-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
jnecr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Personally, I would never drain the old oil out that way. You will not get all the oil out, nor will you get the sedimentation that is sitting in the bottom of the sump.

The 'official' BMW kit includes a new sump plug washer or new sump plug (depending on year of car). Because that's the way it's supposed to be drained - through the sump plug.
There's arguments both ways really. Some say that sucking it out with a Pella will actually get more sediment. Other arguments say that you shouldn't really have any sediment if you're keeping up with your oil/filter changes (that's what I believe). People also say that when you use the Pella you can suck the oil out of the filter housing (true), which doesn't drain completely (also true).

I've done both but now find draining via the sump plug easier since I got some ramps. I don't think it really matters much, there are applications where the only option is using a Pella, and none of the problems appear that people claim happen when you vacuum the oil out... So which ever you prefer, go for it.