View Single Post
      12-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
I have an '02 A4 1.8T auto and it is a dog when I go up into the mountains (8,000+). The shift points go way up, and even after the turbo spins up the car is generating way less power than it does even in Denver at 5200 feet.

This question is also important in determining whether it makes sense to mix 100 octane in with the 91 I get at the pump - if there isn't enough air in the cylinder at altitude it wouldn't matter.
My experience with my car is completely different than yours. I feel almost no difference at all going above 8000+ altitude compared to Denver.

I don't know if it is my manual transmission, or that I mix 105 octane fuel into my tank with every fill-up. But whatever it is, I'm very, very happy with how well it performs at high altitude. I am expecting a manual tranny 135i turbo with an engine tune and 105 octane fuel mixed in will perform even better, but I have no proof. It's just my gut feeling.

When I drive non-turbo vehicle up the same Interstates/highways, I feel like somebody stole my I-6 and replaced it with a 4-cyl. My turbo car just doesn't feel that way at all. In fact, if it is a 100+ degree day, and I take my turbo car to higher altitude and it is in the 70's up there, my car actually performs better at altitude with the temp. change than it did down in town. I have the speeding tickets to prove it. :frown:

Last edited by Nixon; 08-10-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0