07-03-2020, 11:07 PM   #13
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I sat in a 2020 Giulia recently and the interior has improved with the latest refresh. While it still isn't on the level of the Germans they added more real metal accents and fixed the ugly center console area while also giving it a copycat iDrive 6.0 that works pretty well, and if you get the Ti Leather package you get Napa leather on the seats, armrest, door tops and dashboard which is quite surprising as that's typically 5-series level of options and of course you get the awesome large metal shift paddles. Areas that they still could improve on though are the switchgear as that still feels cheaper for the class, although thankfully it isn't from a 2005 Mercedes like the new Dodges and Maseratis, as well as the fit and finish could feel more solid. But honestly, I would let it pass for me at least since it drives so well and since you can get some insane deals on them (and this would be a lease only car for me) and coming from a CX-5 it would still be a nice interior.
The refreshed models are definitely improved, but everything still feels a notch below in quality and fit-and-finish to me. Once you are used to the "solid" feeling" of a German automobile it's difficult to tolerate the more budget brands whom are often cash strapped (Alfa, Cadillac, Jaguar, Maserati, Infiniti, etc.). But yes the driving experience can certainly make up for it depending on the individual.

Italian cars historically will have nice leathers and wood finishes but have cheap switchgear and overall quality. Seems like they'll never get it right.
Appreciate 0