View Single Post
      04-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I've been a Carly user for quite some time, primarily for coding my wife's previous 128i convertible and diagnostics/code reading and clearing on that and my 2013 335i. Coding for F-chassis cars was supposed to be available at the end of 2015, and now we're into the 2nd Quarter of 2016 with coding still in "beta testing". Even at that, I read that initial coding capability will probably be limited to just the KOMBI (dashboard) module and not much else, unless they've expanded their coding plans.

As much as I like Carly for coding older models with their Bluetooth adapter, I'm a bit disappointed in their inability to get coding finished for F-chassis now that those cars are in their 4th year of production. While the E-chassis cars used a "bus" system, the F-chassis uses an actual network, hence the requirement for the ethernet cable used with E-Sys and the Gen-2 adapter for Carly.

We just took delivery of a 2016 228i M-Sport convertible (F23) to replace the 128i, and I had to use E-Sys 3.27.1 and a newer psdzdata plus the E-Sys "launcher" to code the new car. Once you get the hang of it, it's really pretty simple to do FDL coding for KOMBI, FEM_BODY, and HU-NBT2 modules. I'll continue to use Carly for reading/clearing codes and their other features, but I'm afraid it'll be a good while before their coding capabilities will allow you do more than just the KOMBI features.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I appreciate it! I ordered Carly's bluetooth adapter and will try out their lite version of the tools as well as Torque and keep an eye on the coding progress.
Appreciate 0