No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Bump. Not an R but same shit.

The first six minutes are hilarious. All hail Mk7.

None of this; the MMI, the capacitive buttons and non-buttons, the hood prop instead of a strut, El Cheapo interior, etc.; none of it would've been green-lit if Piech were still alive, I'm sure.

VAG has done some very questionable things in the past, but all of this crap, packaged into their number one car, is the opposite of what I know VW for.
I'm actually surprised at how mentally slow they are when it comes to using this system. Zach is typically on tech too. Regardless, there are plenty of videos out there showing how the UI is actually very simple to use when you understand all of the shortcuts at play, from owners and reviewers. They're not hidden, you just need to do literal basic research.

I finally got to sit in a Lapiz Blue R w/ DSG yesterday. It was fucking special. My next car for sure. Within five minutes, I was able to customize the home screens, the shortcuts, and the equalizer to my liking. Everything's customizable. You can fully disable all traction systems in less time than it would take to hold down a traditional button (which is typically around 5+ secs on most cars).

The MK7 is great, but it's also the most generic car in the world. Definitely for guys that wouldn't dare go beyond missionary in the bedroom. At least the MK8 is the first car since the MK5 to take some semblance of risk in interior and exterior design.

My next car for sure. Just waiting and calling dealers that aren't trying to blast my cornhole with markups.
How do you disable the traction control faster than by using a physical button?

Time notwithstanding, you've got to take your eyes off the road more when using any kind of touch screen than, say, physical buttons which you can memorise very easily. Like blindly typing text messages on a Nokia 3210.

Customisable yes, it is, does it help your overall interaction with the vehicle, I don't think so. But this is not a VW-only problem anyway.

MMI aside, though, the fact that, 1. the fucking HVAC controls aren't back-lit, 2. I kept turning the steering wheel hearing on with my right hand, 3. there is an apparent cost-cutting mayhem in VW interiors, is enough for me to scratch my head and wonder where this all is going to end up one day.

It does drive great apparently (have driven a regular Golf) and I like the way it looks in GTI/R trim. You won't be disappointed. I wouldn't go ti the length of saying that Mk7 was bland. A Golf shall be "boring" to an extent, and shall not have any stupid mishaps on the inside.