View Single Post
      03-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #32
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptkeeper View Post
I think this is what I think about the most when comparing the 335 to the M3. If you buy a 335i, you might try and spend that type of money to make it closer or better than an M3, whereas the M3 might seem just fine stock. I looked at an AW M3 inside the showroom at the dealer yesterday and you just get a sense that there is something more there than the 335's sitting outside in the rain. Dealer wouldn't let me sit in it though
The M3 is a very fine vehicle, no doubt. Well engineered and outfitted, very fast and a very good handler.

But today I got to go over a new one at our local dealer, and found that, from a looks standpoint, I like the 335 (and 328) better. Much better. The M3 has that hood bulge, various air ducts, and body cladding, all of which tend to screw up the very clean lines on the base coupes.

I feel the same way about 911s. One of my sons has a 911S in Arctic Silver, and frankly, next to a C4S or Turbo, it's classically beautiful. Those other models are scooped and spoilered to a fare thee well, and for me, that doesn't do it.

Yeah, I know. A lot of folks want their speed to show, so that's how manufacturers build 'em. It's a pity, though. Some of us don't want their speed to show.

Sigh. Maybe I should go find my old '98 Neon (if it hasn't rusted into a shapeless pile by now). There was a car where the speed didn't show.

Sure, it was a POS, but on track, DAMN, that car was quick.

Bruce
Appreciate 0