View Single Post
      10-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #12
theART
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Varies with season.

What always puzzled me is how did Toyota made a 320HP 3.0L Twin Turbo Supra and BMW can't seem to to the same 20 years letter on a standard trim car with these technologies which weren't used in 1993.

-Variable Valve Timing
-Direct Injection
-Coil on Plug
-Variable Vane Turbo

Somehow German engineering is 20 year behind and still catching up to last millennium.

Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmonkey View Post
i really don't think we're going to see much more power coming out of the regular n55 engine. I recall reading something a long time ago that the 3.0l i6 is pretty much maxed out and bmw pushed it a little furhter by introduing the turbos. The car is already doing 0-60 in 5.4 secs which is way more than 90% of people that own a 335 can handle.

If you'll notice, they massaged the engine to now produce 306 hp at the expense of a little bit of torque. This is just marketing as everybody knows the rule of thumb. You buy hp but drive torque so by saying that the car now makes 306hp, they can advertise it as saying that the engine now produces more power. Also, note the 306hp that they massaged the engine to also happens to be the same as one of their competitors, the IS350.

So I don't think they're too concerned with the hp because they, along with all of the other car manufacturers, are more concerned with the upcoming CAFE standards. That's why you see BMW pushing this efficiency thing from low rolling resistance tires to extremely low cod to reduced weight. That's why BMW now has an in-house carbon fiber plant because I'm guessing that's where they're going to focus their performance in the near future. More efficient engines and reduced weight and not increased power.
Appreciate 0