View Single Post
      12-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
I've read more than once on this forum that Ohlins dampers require servicing every 30k. My 'assumption' is the servicing requires removing the damper from the car.
If you have these dampers, what is the manufacturer's recommendation for 'servicing'?
I am pretty sure that this 'servicing' is required for cars that are hitting the track more than 5 times/year. I would service my 4250s every 30k miles just to keep the dampening up to par when I thrash my car on a track.

To the OP, it really depends on what you are using the car for. Just like you are saying, if you track your car maybe twice per year I really don't see the point of spending $$$$ for a single adjustable/double adjustable setup. Yes, the Ohlins drive BETTER than stock and drive BETTER than Konis because of their DFV technology. However, are you an experienced enough driver to notice that every day of the week? Probably not. If you are asking if KWs are a good product then you, no offense, probably will never feel the difference.

The misconception is what is "best" for the car is sometimes not the "best" for the driver. In your case I would start out with a less expensive setup (Koni + swift). You will notice a significant difference in drive quality and handling characteristics. This setup will allow you to grow and will present a gradual learning curve which will be EXTREMELY enjoyable. If you go from stock to Ohlins and really don't know why Ohlins are good or why you went with this particular setup, it just won't do you nor the setup any justice.

Bottom line is start small and build your way up. I started with KW V2s… then went to SWIFT conversion on the V2s… then went to AST 4250s 400/800… and now I am going to 560/900 spring rate on the 4250s. It's A LOT of fun to progressively work your way up the ladder of products. Starting out small will not only save you money, but will help you learn about suspension in the RIGHT way.

Let us know if you have any more questions!

-Mike
Appreciate 0