View Single Post
      12-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #282
fox1486
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i XDrive

I want to like this, I do. My love for the brand really started with the e46, as it did for several other people I know. And I've thoroughly enjoyed my e92's. I think both the interior and exterior of those models were sophisticated enough for class driven buyers, while maintaining the sportiness needed to appeal to car/club enthusiasts. For me personally, a car has me interest if it provokes an emotion right off the bat with the exterior. A positive emotion to be clear. But some of the newer model designs and decisions, have made me question the direction they are taking. This one may be one of the worst, in terms of design.

My first thought echoes that of others here, who immediately related it to a Kia from the front and side profiles. The front headlights are funky and look high on the hood line. The same light placement seemed to work "okay" on the new Z4, but is still a drastic difference from the low slung aggressive headlights of the past. On the F44 however it seems to give the overall car a rounder, bubbly type of shape, while making the car look taller. I'm also not in love with the rear end design. Very flat, which contradicts the round looking front end. The same flat back end seems to work fine on the SUVs. But on a small car? Not so much. Again an example of taking the design language/cues from another model and forcing it to work here.

I get it. It's a business. You have to make money with products you know will sell well. But will this sell? Will all the money saved on R&D and design work be worth it, if this car dilutes the brand?

This isn't a 5 series, nor an 8. I don't expect it to be the flagship with all the bells and whistles. Even though I don't agree with basically doubling the brand lineup, with both odd and even series, the 2 series has now inherited the responsibilities of what the 3 series once was. To become the new entry vehicle into BMW. The car you can proudly park in the driveway. The car you can't help but look back at after parking it. The car that makes you take pride in the hard work you put in, to get to this point in life. It should be a symbolic trophy of your accomplishments, and also hold the exciting prospects of what the higher end series have to offer. The vehicle that introduces you to "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

I'm sorry, but for me, this is not that machine.
Appreciate 5
zamboni1127.50
CH400EM117.50
A6bullet337.00
MarkDemma519.00