07-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #17
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Post from M5board.com, member bought and installed pulleys.

Evosport pulleys on a M5, with dyno. 26hp increase.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...light=evosport
Read the rest of the thread. He's only getting 14 hp with the pulley upgrade and not 26 hp. He installed exhaust and removed charcoal filter before doing pulleys. His real baseline before the pulleys seem to be 432 hp. Then he installs pulleys 2 months later and gets 446 hp.

There are other potential factors here:
1. His car is new. It's possible that it can generate more power as it continues to break-in during the 2 months.
2. Weather effects. Not back to back runs.

If an M5 gets 14hp increase--assuming what I mentioned above does not result in a significant difference--I don't see how the M3 will get more.

21 hp is a lot. I don't see why the alternator and what else is driven by the belt would be so over-driven. Plus, there are other sorts of risks with installing untested stuff like this in your car. How can they say that it won't damage your car? How do they know? They attached many M3 engines on a testbed and ran them for 100000+ miles with this product to see what happens? Do you really want to take that risk on a $65k car for a 10-12 hp gain that you won't even be able to feel?

And, yeah, M engineers are idiots and don't know what they are doing, so they just left 21hp on the table for no reason, and these guys are smarter and know what they are doing...