Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
If they don't they'll be making a stupid decision. The only good press these days that they get is from the 2 series/M2 and its basically their halo car right now. They need to keep the coupe RWD, w/ an inline 6, and a manual.

The 2 series is the only reason I currently have a bimmer in the garage, so I hope the coupe keeps its winning formula, otherwise, I guess I'll be jumping ship!
Not that I don't agree with you, I held out replacing my E46 330Ci ZHP until I drove the M240i ... but I'm afraid we're a dying breed. They made this car because of the 70,000 Audi A3's and Mercedes CLA's getting sold every year in U.S. Look at the sales numbers for the RWD 2 series last year they didn't sell 10,000 of them, and I bet outside the US very few were the M240. Heck I had to special order mine because they simply weren't making any M240 manuals and shipping them. Simply put, no one is beating down their doors for RWD with a I6 and manual.

Yes, the M2 gets good press, but not sure how many units sold that translates into ... I do see a lot more M4s on lots than M2s. Whether or not it translates into sales, everyone talking about wanting a M2 seems to have kept the next version of the coupe RWD - we can just hope you can still get the M240i with a B58 variant and a manual, but may just be the M2.

What I'm saying is that they can't make cars to please purists if it doesn't translate into sales. I think people would be less upset if they would have not called this a 2 at all and kept that moniker for the RWD coupe only. Honestly if you want a 4 door folks should get a 340.
I'm fine with them making a FWD sedan for sales, but I doubt a FWD coupe would garner any more sales for them over the current 2er, so I would hope they at least with the tiniest bit of their heart left they have for the enthusiasts that they keep the coupe RWD. Its hard to be an optimist for BMW in its current state, but I'm hoping.

M340i doesn't excite me, if I needed a compact 4-door with an auto, I'd get a C43 or lease a Giulia.
But both are above this car, C43 or current 3 series are not really compact by the old day standard
Appreciate 1
Blader26.00