MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson04 View Post
I don't think anyone below the age of 50 can deny that at some point in his/her lifetime he or she will likely witness the end of the ICE. The majority of consumers below 40 undeniably want tech versus styling/performance in their cars. That's part of the reason why Tesla produced their highest output of vehicles in 2021. Once the science allows for the charging time to be equivalent to filling a tank; game over. The science is continuing to edge towards 300 miles or more on a full charge. That's more than what most drive before they take a restroom break, stretch, grab a snack/drink, etc. Moral of the story is don't wait too long to buy that dream ICE car.
Your assertion, though seemingly logical, has one slight flaw; not every country will adopt as quickly as the better-off countries of the OECD.

Cuba, Lebanon, etc present good examples, as will most of Africa and Central Asia - mostly because they won't be able to afford the heavy burden of billions of dollars in infrastructure expenditure. That's almost 4 billion now (reaching 5 billion people by 2050) who won't have taken up EVs for well beyond 2035.

The World will boast 9.2Bn people by 2050. Most of the population is concentrated in those poorer countries most of which can barely feed their people let alone go the way of the well-fed and spend billions in infrastructure projects.

I'm positive, most vehicles in the 2050s on the planet will still be ICE.