View Single Post
      07-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #20
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

Not for nothing, and it has absolutely zero to do with the result of the "review" but, what an awful video! They were trying to mimic the chemistry from Top Gear and it was just so bland! It was like one of those terrifyingly awkward high school plays you were forced to sit through except taking place right on camera! Brutal.

Now, to get to the cars;

First things first, can someone please explain how the Vette gets a sympathy card? I believe the quote went something like "...it's amazing we can even compare the corvette to the M4...". What I mean is, the M3 has been around since 1990 right? The Corvette has been around since the 1950's in which they built some of the most amazing, most influential cars until really the 80's. How is it that we are supposed to feel proud that after over 30 years of piss-poor Corvettes they finally make one that worth a dollar or two and everyone should be ecstatic?! I mean after billions in bailouts, this car should be the better than a 458, but in classic American form, we make excuses to accept less from our own kind, all while demanding more from others.

This is entirely subjective, and maybe it's because I've stared at way too many beautiful cars, but the Vette is really cheesy looking. I think the side profile is it's strongest look but other than that, it's face and it's arse are just awful! The 4 pipes all in a line!? C'mon man, that is so tacky. The lights of the camaro with the black eye-liner? And the simpleton face with the classic Corvette 'Ferrari' rip-off headlights are just sucking.

Ok, back on point

Putting history aside, the Vette is a great car, I ran to test one out when they were first launched and it's seriously a fun car! The V8 sound is nice if you like that heavy, "American" power kind of sound. It had way more character and "hooliganism" than any of the C63's I've ever driven (Saloon and Coupe).
It is, and I think we can all agree on this, a major step forward from the continuous line of garbage GM has produced in the past 3 decades. (And I drive a cts-v wagon as my DD, and I'm saying it!)

Now, to stick up for the M4 a bit. They are comparing two cars that are really in two different genres. The Corvette refuses to change with the times. The times being, emission-friendly or friendlier sports cars that are better than the ones before. To me, a 6.2 litre V8 is not really modernizing, it's kind of just saying "We're going to do it our way until we get bailed out again...". As where BMW, decided to take a step in a direction that was not a guaranteed success. They decided to opt for a car that was better in every single performance category, all while actually making the car better in every single emissions and fuel consumption kind of way as well. This to me is huge plus for BMW.

As for the complaints about sound, listen if the V8 in the Corvette didn't sound better than an i6 twin turbo BMW, it would really be the end of things for GM. A V8 is supposed to sound better than a 6, especially when it's turbo-charged. So to me, that point really doesn't mean much. Did the V8 F1 cars sound better than the new v6 turbos? I think so, but then again, it's supposed to... This is all apart of the eco-friendly movement, it kind of sucks, but it is necessary.

I didn't think this review offered much, other than a way for the younger guy to show off his tattoos or something. I think the Vette is a nice car, but in an overall category doesn't have much on the M4.

I'm trying not to be another douche who just defends the car he is going to get but that is actually how I feel on this one. I wanted to love the Vette, thus is why I ran to see one when they came out but it's just still not there, it's almost like it lacks sophistication to some degree.

Lastly, I would've preferred an actual review of the cars, not just these two babbling and then just coming to a verdict. And I apologize for sounding sour toward the US, I'm just another American who is pissed about the direction of this country. Don't mind me =)
Appreciate 0