View Single Post
      01-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #12
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
My dad died of undiagnosed congestive heart failure brought on by undiagnosed sleep apnea. He was seeing a doctor about shortness of breath, but the doctor completely misdiagnosed the case, labeling it "allergies." Dad was only 55.

If you think you have sleep apnea, take it seriously.
So sorry to read that, thats way too young to lose your dad. My problem is I act naive to the problem b/c I have gone 14 yrs with essentially doing nothing about it. Its a false sense of security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
This kinda goes one of two directions, either one has a medical issue that can be rectified via surgery or one has gained too much weight, only way to fix that is drop the weight. I have been on a CPAP for years, I hate it, use a mouth and nose mask (called full face) and it's just a pain in the arse. Long term goal is to be off the cpap by end of year. Without it, i cannot sleep at all.
Mine would be medical, my tongue moves to the back of my throat. Problem with surgery is they say after 6 months the scar tissue builds and essentially does the same as your tongue moving AND is very painful surgery. PASS
Although I could lose weight now (20 lbs) I was probably 40 lbs lighter when I was diagnose and def not a pound overweight back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I have not, but maybe I just dislike the idea of surgery even more than my stupid fucking cpap. You know what I find interesting… I had no sleep issues. I fell asleep fine, as far as I could tell I slept like a baby and was never sleepy or falling asleep at work or anything. I did snore.

However one day my doctor for many years (now retired) did some blood work and said my testosterone was low for my age… mmmkay. No effects that I could tell from this low testosterone either. He claimed that testosterone is produced in your sleep and being fairly young and having low testosterone means I was not sleeping well. So he had me do a sleep study and it came back they I had bad sleep apnea.

I have used the machine since even though I hate it. However now I cannot sleep a wink without this fucking pos. I cannot even fall asleep unless I got that shit strapped to my face like a fucking fighter pilot.

I’ve heard conflicting results about special mouth appliances also that are suppose to help with it. I’m fat, but none of the people at the sleep study place where I had mine done were fat. I’m also pretty sure my father had undiagnosed sleep apnea and he was not fat either. He would snore like crazy and go silent for periods, obviously didn’t know about sleep apnea at the time.

Like full face full face like fucking cosmonaut? Never heard of such a thing. I have what is considered a full face mask but it’s only mouth and nose. A lot of people just use nose.
I hear you, I hate the thing. Mines brand new and quiet but you got hoses and cords next to the bed and BS on your face etc....ughhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I think I had it for a very short period about 15 years ago. I would wake up gasping for air and my heart was pounding. I felt like I stopped breathing. I made an appointment but it stopped as quick as it started. It happened several times. Is that sleep apnea? Don't know what the symptoms are except being overweight can be one of them (which I'm not). Those masks don't look too comfortable and I feel for the people who have to wear them.
I'm no doctor but I play a gynocologist at home. Its unlikely it went away without major changes in weight but whatever it was be glad it didnt stick around
Appreciate 1
Esteban43739.00