02-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #7
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM6GC View Post
FWIW, my wife and I have found yet another source of k-band signals from the rear (and the front, too).

We own three V1's. One was in our now-departed '06 CLS55, the second is in our '13 Escalade, and the third is in our '15 M6GC. The MB and Caddy didn't/don't have any kind of radar-emitting components. The M6GC does. All three suffered from false k-band signals, including the M6GC, even when lane departure, etc. are shut off. It was driving us nuts. What the hell was causing the problem?!?!

Eventually, we were able to isolate a major source of the problem (for us at least): semi trucks. We would pass a truck, and the thing would start beeping from the rear. There were times when there were no other vehicles on the road except for us and the truck (and no cops in view), and the signal would stay with us as long as the truck was in view, even when we were very far away from the truck. We saw that happen over and over again until it finally dawned on us that trucks are at least one source of the problem. Most of the time there is more than one truck around us, so it was not unusual for the signal to stay on over long distances with the bogey counter showing two, three, or more sources.

We upgraded the units to include the junk k-band fighter, and that helped quite a bit. It did not stop the problem completely, though, so it may still be picking up other people's radar-emitting equipment.

Funny becasue I was thinking it had something to do with Semi's also but I just couldn't think of what it would be. I haven't used my V1 for almost a year but dusted it off when I brought the M6.