07-06-2015, 02:10 AM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My nephew is into watches and has several nice ones. I was talking with him last week about watches and he recommended Hamiltons as an entry level and sent me a link to a few nice ones. There are several available through Amazon for considerably less than retail, but almost all the reviews warn about Amazon not being an authorized dealer, so no warranty coverage. Are warranties that important with watches at this level? I have over $20k in camera gear and have never needed to use a warranty, so I stopped caring about warranties on camera gear. But Canon (my brand) only offers one year anyway. It might be a different story on a watch that may have multiple years of coverage.
The greatest use I've found with warranties is the comfort that comes from a maker's actually offering one, not whether or not when I buy a watch I'm entitled to warranty coverage. That said, were I buying a replica watch anywhere but in the PRC or an Invicta, I'd want a warranty. Those may well be the only two types of watch/watch purchase for which I would expressly want a warranty.

Note: I don't require or expect a warranty when buying a replica watch in the PRC for several reasons:
-- I buy them as "door prize" give aways.
-- They are so inexpensive it really doesn't matter if they fail or not.
-- I have no idea who actually makes the watch and nobody's going to tell me.

I can tell you that I've bought many watches -- authentic ones -- at price points ranging from a few hundred dollars to multiple tens of thousands of dollars. I have yet to need warranty coverage because not one of them has failed during the warranty period. I had the crystal fall off a watch -- the only "failure" I've ever experienced -- but that happened two years after the maker's warranty expired.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-02-2015 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0