04-10-2021, 04:01 AM   #18
KHAP13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
If you disconnect the wiring harness, are you saying it will have a code that has to be cleared with a Code Reader? But if you disconnect negative battery cable there will be no Code?

Yes, if you unplug the yellow harness under the seat you will get an SRS error message, and it will need to be cleared if you don’t want to drive around with the error message. The codes will only clear if everything is plugged back in and functioning properly.

Alternatively, you could disconnect the battery before removing and replacing the seats, but if all the proper systems were not reconnected (ex aftermarket seat) then you will still get an error once the battery is connected. I have not done it this way because to me this method is a lot of extra hassle, (probably need to reload your iDrive settings etc) although I believe this is the recommended method when working on airbag components.

I opted to just get a universal code reader for a few hundred bucks that I could use for many vehicles reading/clearing codes and for DSC brake bleeding on the M2 and many other features. It makes removing these SRS errors related to disconnecting the harness a 30 sec job.
Appreciate 1