02-09-2024, 02:42 PM   #15
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Striking hybrid supercar, based on Vision M Next, was heavily inspired by the legendary M1

BMW designed a radical mid-engined hybrid supercar to succeed the i8 - but never put it into production.

Kept secret for four years but now revealed by BMW head designer Domagoj Dukec on social media, the i16 was a striking electrified supercar that could have been the M performance division's second bespoke model after the M1 supercar.

As it was, says Dukec, "the world changed in 2020" at the onset of the Covid pandemic, and "work on the project unfortunately had to be stopped".

BMW M has since revealed the XM hybrid SUV as its second bespoke product - a dramatically different proposition to the supercar revealed here.

It is a faithful evolution of the Vision M Next concept BMW revealed in 2019, albeit with some subtle revisions aimed at making it road-legal.

Dukec describes the car as having "all the style of a future classic", and notes the influence of the Guigiaro-designed M1 in its angular, cab-forward silhouette, vented rear arches and louvred engine lid.

The i16 was conceived to use the i8's composite structure – no doubt in a bid to cut development costs and thus bolster its viability as a production car – but it is not clear whether it would have used the same plug-hybrid powertrain.

The i8, BMW's first PHEV, paired a 1.5-litre [...]

Yes yes yes!!!! They need this look back! I love it! 😍
Appreciate 3
HotRodM4688.50
ghaffari461134.00