View Single Post
      03-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The sub-4L V8 has no viable business case outside of select super cars or exotics. Outside of that rarified air, not enough people who want a small displacement V8 will refuse to accept a four or six cylinder equivalent instead. For high performance sport sedans and sport coupes, the marketplace has largely already proven that the number of cylinders is not a crucial part of the package. If the vehicle has the performance numbers, it is going to make the emotional impact it needs to have on buyers.

We'll see 500hp, 600hp, 700hp+ six cylinder hybrids soon. A V8 will become unjustifiable at some point. Another datapoint to consider: when an F150 with a 3.5L turbocharged V6 - not a V8, which has been a staple in this class of truck - has gained hold and not only found a significant number of buyers but begun to outsell the comparable V8, that's some very big writing on the wall. And remember this - your Corvette and muscle cars get the V8 because there's an easy business case when your factories put 1 million of them a year in these high margin trucks. It's all going to end soon enough. From where I see it, no V8 is safe from the displacement downsizing and PHEV proliferation.
Totally agree.

I think the V8's will soon only be in the M / AMG (full fat) / RS models. As you pointed out, the E43 AMG replaces the old E550. The base E is now a turbo 4, just like in BMW and Audi. People have accepted this in overwhelming numbers...I see way more 528's on the road than I do 535's and 550's are like the least seen. I see 4 M5's for every 550.

Part of the reason I WANT a C63 is that ridiculous engine. Despite it really being too small for my wants, and not having a transmission I desire (6MT or even a proper DCT would be better) you can't escape that raucous, rowdy V8. AMG has hinted in the past that the V8 is really a double version of the I4 in the A/CLA 45 AMG...and that the 8 can double what the 4 can take. Which is currently just under 400 HP. So a small displacement V8 is already here. I don't see it getting much smaller. It's either that, or a 6 with various assists (turbo, e-turbo or electric motor).
Appreciate 1