05-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
It's a good idea to go to a smaller track first. California speedway can be VERY fast. BMWCCA did a track event there and they put a chicane in the long oval part but I was still up to 130+ before the 90 degree right hand turn to the infield and that was with my e46 328i sedan. So I'd imagine I'd be going MUCH faster in this car. However to your point about accidents. I have done probably 15-20 BMWCCA events. In that time I have seen about 6-8 accidents. ALL of them have been single car accidents. All except one have been novice students who wanted to push and push and didn't listen to their instructors. The one that wasn't was an "A" student (highest level) with a brand new e46 M3 and he added too much gas on a tight turn at Laguna lost the back end and threw it into the wall. Can you get yourself into trouble? YES! But if you start slow, leave your ego at home and listen to your instructor you will gain speed without realizing it and be in control and its a BLAST! If you don't you will be trying to make your car go faster, you will have that kind of scared feeling in your stomach and you will be "behind the car" and you will drive past the limits.
That being said even this last weekend at Buttonwillow I had the instructor make some "corrections" in my steering wheel to keep us on the track while driving.
Oh and if you go to Willow make sure it is STREETS at Willow and not the big track. Turn 8/9 on that track are REALLY fast and bumpy and if not done right head right into a wall! Would NOT suggest that as your first school.
Appreciate 0