Thread: Cigarette smell
View Single Post
      05-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #12
VK_Technician
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M550IX

When I purchased a 650i GC a few years ago the first thing I noticed after driving it home was a faint smell of cigarettes. The dealership masked the smell with air fresheners but I could still smell through it. I tried everything, smoke air freshener bombs, charcoal bags, water/vinegar solution, you name it. I sprayed the water/vinegar solution on the carpet, headliner, seats. After the vinegar smell faded, the smell of cigarettes was still ever so faint. Next I bought an ozone generator and ran it for an hour with the A/C running. After the ozone smell faded, the car smelled great for about 2 days. The old cigarette smell now turned into the smell of stale furniture. Changed the cabin air filter and tried the ozone treatment several more times. Each time the end result was the same. The car never smelled fresh or new again. All I could do was mask the stale odor with potent smoke bomb air fresheners. The best one I used was the one called Odor-X by Turtle Wax New Car scent. It actually kept the car smelling clean for a little under 30 days. But that's as good of a solution I could find. Now I will never purchase a pre-owned car that has been smoked in.

Fast forward to the purchase of my M550i, similar story but different outcome. The M550i was a non-smoker, but had an awful smell of BO in the car. The car still smelled new, but had a secondary odor that I could not stand. Did the ozone treatment, smelled good for a day or two, then it came back. Finally I noticed it more when the A/C was on, bought new cabin air filters and that solved the problem. Immediately the car smelled fresh and the brand new car smell resurfaced.

OP I hope you have better luck than I did trying to get the smell out. My nose is just super sensitive so no matter what I could smell something.
Appreciate 0