View Single Post
      09-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #95
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As I said, the codes are merely corroborating information. Still, notice that there are no UKL vehicles with codes F42/F43 coming either. So, if BMW were planning to use UKL for the coupe/convertible, those are right there for the taking. F41 is the next 1 Series hatch, known to be moving to UKL, after which they skip to F44 which is this new 2 Series GC also known to be built on UKL. Circumstantial? Technically, sure. But very strong circumstance, I would say.

However, the real evidence is Van Meel's recent statement that M Division is sticking with the I6 and will not build four cylinder models. He would not come out and say that at this time - with nothing forcing him to come forward about such things - if products were not in the works, and if he were not 100% sure he will not be eating his words in just a few short years. We can take his statement to mean that the next M2, M3, and M4 will each be I6 powered. After that generation? Who knows.

In any case, if the M2 is going to be powered by an I6, then it is going to be built on a RWD platform. And if the M2 is going to be on a RWD platform, then so will the 2 Series coupe (and convertible) on which it must be based.

No, not true at all. The F22/F23/F87 just had their LCI and will not be replaced until 2021 according to current inside information. It is way too early for the next generation to be out testing. In fact, even the next generation 4 Series Coupe has not yet been seen, and that is due in 2020.

By contrast, this new 2 GC is due in 2019, which is why it is now out in the wild testing.

As far as I am concerned, these are the facts. You too will be convinced eventually. But go ahead and take all the time you need - you've got years to allow yourself to believe.

Yes, and it will almost surely power the next M3 and M4 just as it is known to be powering the new X3 M and X4 M.

Quite possibly, maybe I'd even say probably, it will indeed power the next M2 as well. The only other choice would be some version of the B58 approaching 400hp. That cannot be ruled out, but I think the fact that they are promoting the S55 to the M2 "CS" now suggests that for the next generation, they will start with the M motor right out of the gate. That's just my hunch, but I think it make sense.
The 2er Gran Coupe/M Perfomance will be FWD based with xDrive available.
The next generation of 2er Coupe,Cabrio and M2 will be RWD based with xDrive on some models.