View Single Post
      03-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #101
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Just curious, but why, if any of you would, buy a 2GC over say, a Golf GTI/R??? I don't see many reasons to if I'm being honest, other than wanting the badge on the hood.
I wouldn't.

A Golf-R has a considerably lower price tag. And it retains a good percentage of value over the years, as it's a more specialized and rarer vehicle next to its little brother, the GTI.

I like the European 1 series hatchback. BMW should bring that to North America.

An M235i with similar equipment is priced too closely to the better 2 series coupe.

Here is an M235iX GC, with options similar to a Golf-R:
This one is an eye popping $51,000
https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...07pase/summary

And an M240iX, equipped like the GC:
Price is $54,000. About $4k more for one of the best current BMW driving enthusiast cars.

Since that articles reviewer compared the GC to the Golf-R, here is similarly equipped VW Golf-R is $42,400

The new MK8 R is coming in about a year and a half. It will have the full digital displays. And it's price will likely go up a bit. Even if it were to go up $4000 that's still only $46,500.

Yes, the M240iX only has 2 doors, but it's overall size and interior space is similar to the GC. Neither car is going to be purchased in order to carry rear passengers on long trips, nor for daily drives.

If one needs that space utility, then get the larger, more spacious 3 series.

I've been waiting for a true, real, 2 series based sedan, ever since I owned a 2009 135i sport. It didn't happen in time, so I got a 2012 335i Msport. Still no 2 series sedan, so I got a 2015 340i Msport. I wanted a smaller sport sedan.

And in 2018 still no 2 series sport sedan, and no new 3 series at that time either. So, now I have a 2018 Audi S4. And I really want OUT of this S4 and back into a BMW.

Now BMW brings a so called "2 series Gran coupe". Other than sharing the same number in its name, this is NOT a true and real 2 series coupe based sedan or gran coupe.
I didn't abandon BMW, BMW abandoned me.

My choice now is to get back into a 3 series. I might, but only if my dealer discounts the excessively jumped up price. Or, perhaps the new 2 series coupe.
Appreciate 0