View Single Post
      07-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #39
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
What do you mean that our market isn't ready for it? I see probably twenty to thirty CLAs and A3s for every 1er or 2er. These things will be everywhere.
Exactly my point. The market wants a small gas-powered BMW sedan, not a small electric BMW hatchback. Or at least that's what the numbers say. In reality, had the i3 looked more like the F20 1 Series or indeed the ID.3, BMW might be in a very different place right now.

The other factor here is that BMW will have a comfortable margin on the 2 Series Gran Coupe while VW will be treading on thin ice (ha! - no pun intended) with the ID.3. The fact of the matter is that weening yourself off the ICE means accepting significantly lower margins for an interim period (for what is essentially an unknown length of time), and everyone is trying to hold out as long they can, waiting for their competitor to take that step first. If you'v ever watched an indoor bike race, it's something like the strategy they use at the start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(track_cycling)

Quote:
Unlike the sprints in athletics, these events do not usually start with riders sprinting from the starting line and they are not confined to lanes. The early parts of each race will often be highly tactical with riders pedalling slowly, as they carefully jockey for position, often trying to force their opponents up high on the track in an attempt to get their rivals to make the first move. Some even bring their bicycles to a complete stop, balanced upright with both feet still on the pedals and both hands on the handle bars (a track stand), in an attempt to make the other rider take the lead. Track stands can only be held for a certain time and it is not permissible to go backwards in a track stand by rocking backwards and forwards as the judge will be following the track stand from the bottom of the track. The reason for this behaviour, as in many track cycling events, is both aerodynamics and tactics.
Appreciate 0