United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
It's pretty much a given by now.

I think the only reason the coupe is RWD is the M2.

BMW doesn't sell the 5 door 1 series in the US I think so this one kinda replaced it I guess.
I understand that since the A3, A-class, and CLA are all FWD this follows suit. But it's a total bummer as the 3-series has legitimately become too large. I will still be in the market for the coupe but what if I have kids n shit by then? Would prefer a sedan variant of the RWD coupe....
This is the fight I've had for the last decade. My M Coupe wasn't kid friendly, the E91 and F31 were too large, heavy and saddled with only the base engine and the F31 had awd and an automatic too. The sedans were boring and the coupes had rear windows that didn't open, rendering them useless for my dog. We didn't get the five door hatch. The convertibles had a stupid, heavy hardtop.

So I've had other brands. First a Mazda 3. Then a couple of GTIs. Fwd isn't the devil, it's actually more fun than a heavy, boring, one wheel drive 3er that the wife parked in the garage for a while.

There's a chance that BMW actually knows what it's doing here. As noted, they've actually done a nice job with Mini dynamics and applying that to a small sedan might actually work well. Anything is better than the F series cars, even a fwd "coupe."
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Bufalo124.00