View Single Post
      03-25-2024, 01:11 PM   #15
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestpierre View Post
I am also in NH and picked up a 24 X4M in October. My oil cap looked like that whenever I pulled it off. Bulk of my trips this winter were short, but even after a few 1500-2000 mile road trips it still had some white film on it.

Every time I've brought it in for an oil change I mentioned it but they said everything looks good, just the cold weather.

You aren't kidding about the warmup cycle... I can be on the road for 20-30 minutes and the temps are still approaching normal. At first I thought something was wrong, but soon realized all the auxiliary cooling it has for warmer temps.
That and the 7+ quarts of oil... Looking at the tiny oil gauge it would appear that the top edge of the blue cold area is 185F. That's generally hot enough to start getting on it. Waiting until it stabilizes is somewhere in the 210F range and will certainly take a while.

So as long as you are not in the blue cold zone its plenty warm. Oil at 180F is where I wait until on all my other cars and it seems BMW agrees as that's where the blue zone ends as well.
Appreciate 0