View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
blt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

My "quick" 328i review!

Hey All,

I was originally going to pick my car up on this Sat, 1 week after it had arrived at the dealership because of work commitments, but the wait was too great and I picked it up yesterday! Was it worth the 4 month wait? ...... Absolutely!!!

The Build:
328i Sportline (Mineral Grey)
Nav Pro
Extended Connectivity Bluetooth
DAB tuner
Rear view camera
Variable Sport Steering

The Likes:
- The handling, this is my first BMW so can't compare it to the older model, but it's fantastic compared to my previous car (2007 Holden Calais V8).
- The sports seats, I was thinking they may be a little too tight (the sides) for my size but they are simply the best. A must have for any 3 series owner.
- The engine, smooth when up and running with plenty of torque and power. Is a tad noisy (but definitely not like a diesel).
- The transmission, silky smooth and can hardly feel the shifts. Dealer reckons it start off in 2nd gear unless you shift the lever into manual mode. This is regardless of the driving mode. Have yet to try the paddles but dealer says this only engages manual mode for a certain time then it reverts back to auto.
- The Nav Pro, love the extra size, and was the main reason for me getting this option. Still have to have a good read of the manual to find all the features.
- The sound system, yes it's only the 9 speaker one but it sounds great for my listening style.
- The steering wheel, nice feel and size, however I have to position it so I can get a full view of the speedo and tacho, so can't see the odometer and tripmeter, but you don't need to see them every second.
- The folding side/exterior mirrors, it's the little things which count.
- The look/profile of the car, to me it's modern and sporting, and the wheels are great, but this is my personal taste.
- The price, didn't have to pay LCT and got free servicing. Could probably have got more off but am happy with what I paid. Also got a full tank of fuel, iPhone cable, and a keyring. Insurance, rego, and running costs are less so I'm happy saving money and the environment.

The Dislikes:
- Auto Stop Start (ASS), yes this topic has been beaten to death, but you can definitely feel it kick in when the air con is on, and not worth using at night. Was at a set of lights and it started before they went green, probably because of the drain on the battery is my guess.
- The cupholder cover, permanently packed away in the glove compartment.
- Centre console, not much room in there, but there is the driver's compartment.

Unsure:
- The ride, you can feel the bumps and rough roads but it's not uncomfortable, tyres are Continental and are set to 40psi. Might drop it a tad lower but won't do that until I've done more kms.
- Eco Pro mode, tried it on a demo test car, and didn't like it. Might try it when cruising on the highway or a traffic jam .....

The Other Things:
- Didn't realise the exhaust tips are black chrome on the Sport line, I like it esp with my car colour.
- Comfort mode, it's ideal for everyday driving and haven't needed to flick it into Sports mode yet. I'm still getting used to the car, but will be trying it soon!
- Adaptive M Suspension would have been nice, but I had a budget and I read somewhere that it can get expensive when replacing parts out of warranty. Yes, I will be keeping the car for at least 4-5 years or more. Would have been nice to try a car with it to see the difference.
- Bi-Xenons would also have been nice, but the standard lights are fine for me, and I don't do a lot of night driving anyway.

Overall, I'm very happy with the car and the experience of buying my first BMW. I can't wait to drive it at any opportunity, even if it means forgetting to buy the milk from the store. The dealership has been very easy to work with and very professional. My only regret and advice to people who are expecting their baby soon, take a few days or a week off to enjoy your car.

And take plenty of pics at the dealership before any rain gets on it.

Happy driving everyone!

Update 1:
- Brakes, forgot to mention these are pretty good and have nice feel.
- Nav Pro, like the Sport Display (power and torque), although it's really just a toy and I should be wathcing the road.
- Nav Pro, DVD player works, a bit small but will give me something watch if I get stuck in traffic.
- Remote, if you hold down the lock button it will close all windows and fold up the exterior mirrors. These will fold out on when the car is unlocked and if you hold down the lock button the all the windows will open.
- Eco pro is ok, but I still prefer comfort. I drive lightly .... most of the time.
- Instrument Cluster with Extended Contents, love this and it was included with Nav Pro.

Update 2:
- visited the dealer and drove a 328i without VSS (Variable Sports Steering) and can say there is a difference. To me it's not that great but noticeable enough when in Sport mode esp when the wheel is turned more, it has more resistance or weight
- decided to lower the tyre pressure slightly to 38psi all round, seems to have made a minor improvement but that could be my imagination.
- the wheels have a fair amount of brake dust, even with the few kms i've done, will have to get use to cleaning them.
- mineral grey is great, picked up the car when it was raining and can hardly see some of the dirt until really close.
- playing mp3's from the iPhone is a learning experience, BMW Y cable doesn't show artwork but Apple cable is fine (tip from dcg71), and bluetooth audio only streams ie you have to use the iPhone to change the artist or album.
- can't wait to get past the run in period to really enjoy the car.

Last edited by blt; 07-20-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0