View Single Post
      11-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #12
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

[As post do not convey emotions very well, I'm going to point out that when writing this, it is completely non-aggressive. Not trying to "prove anything" and not expecting anyone to "prove anything" - just looking for a good conversation on the topic.]

For track situation(s), I can only offer off the cuff responses as hasn't happened yet for me: my car is still on the boat. But some things that some might do to a weekend track warrior just don't come across as immediately natural with the M5. Probably my issue more than anyone else's.

So I pose these questions to anyone that will answer:
Why would you not put your track tires on before you left the house? (i.e. Is the Track "that far"?)

Are you expecting to burn through a set of tires while at the track? If so what are your contingencies for a 2nd vehicle or return home solution if something goes wrong with that set of tires? (i.e. truck and car carrier that could hold tires... spouse coming in a separate car, or collective shop buddy that is going to be there that could bring tires for several fellow racers in his/her truck/van, or are you truly flying solo?).

While there are a myriad of tire options out there, part of the superiority being advertised about the tires on this car are you can use them on street and track quite successfully. But, if you are trying to protect the stock wheels by having a track set, I can see that too. But a protection mindset would also roll to the interior, so I don't think that is the answer that you would come back with...

BTW, I recognize that there are tire protective covers, wraps, cardboard, etc that can be put down. If you do this, certainly use all you can to protect your car. But, having sold my hot rod pickup of 4+ years this past spring, I can say I have taken some of those "calculated risks" in the past and have come across unexpected happenings related to those risks (I didn't always come out ahead). With this M5 (at least initially), I'm not looking to put myself in a situation with a tire (bagged or otherwise) and the interior.

Just closing with a reminder of the spirit of the question posed by the original poster is not about track day tires. OP is asking about taking wheel+tires to mount/balance at tire shop.
Appreciate 0