05-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #13
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff View Post
Yes, the brakes are different. I believe the pads are larger and the calipers are fixed at the rear instead of sliding. But, don't quote me on those specifics. It's more than just a cosmetic upgrade though.

My understanding is that on a lease you can do anything to the car you want, but you have to restore it to the way it was when you return it. Anything that would require drilling, for example, might not be a good idea as you'd be left handing in a car with holes in it if you take the mod off.

That being said, you can almost always safely add BMW accessories and even hand the car in with those still attached. But, you won't get any money back for them; all of this would be out of pocket. Maybe the dealer can add your brakes to the lease contract so they can be residualized...not sure though. Everything you do after delivery will be out of your own pocket.

Here's are some example and I hope others can chime in on their experiences:
- Change kidney grills to black performance ones. Hand car in with those = no problem. Unlikely anyone would even notice.
- Change kidney grills to black performance ones. Remove them and replace with stock ones. Hand car in = no problem. You could then sell the part you just removed.
- Drill holes in trunk to install a wing spoiler. The spoiler would certainly be noticed and removing it would leave you with holes, so that would be a problem.
Thanks so much for the details. Since you mentioned drilling, I was thinking to put the M-Performance pedals on which requires drilling. Based on your explanation, I don't think I would have to take the OEM BMW parts off. The other thing I am unsure off is window tinting. Is this allowed with a lease? Thanks
Appreciate 0