Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Coming from E92

First time poster here.

I actually have a very basic question that you would think would be easy to answer, but I can't seem to find a straight answer to this.

At the moment, I drive an E92 335is. Before that, I drove an E90 335i w/Sport Pkg and before that I drove an E46 330ci Performance Pkg. I guess you can see where I'm coming from...

The wife and I have decided that it's time to get into something a bit more "practical" for family/function. So we started looking at the newer X3 M40i models (we're planning on leasing so we won't have to worry about warranty or maintenance). Unfortunately, I found that at this moment, the X3 M40i is a bit out of my reach (short version is I need more money down or more equity on my trade in because I've only had it 18 mos). So we were resigned to having to wait another year or two to be in a better place to get this, but the dealer called me and told me that they had a 2016 X3 X35i w/M Sport Pkg and almost fully loaded. I drove it and I did like it. But it's four years old and I would have to come up with some kind of warranty on it as I won't buy a car without one.

So here are my two questions:

First, aside from the obvious (newer engine, newer updated dash and iDrive), what are the main differences between the 2016 X3 X35i M Sport and a newer X3 M40i? I've been looking all over and from what I can see, there isn't much. The suspension, steering, and handling are relatively the same as near as I can tell. The exhaust is a bit louder on the M40i, but the X35i M Sport has a pretty good tone as well. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Second, and this is purely a "what do you think" question, should I wait to get into the M40i (and if I did that, I would get most of the extra options), or do you think that going with the '16 X35i M Sport would be good? If I went this way, I would prob keep it for at least 3-4 years before looking at trading in (I drive a lot and we ALWAYS take my car which is why the wife wants me to get an X3 or X5).

Any help, comments, opinions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!