View Single Post
      10-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #142
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchn View Post
I actually like to think of it as engine output since it is sort of consistent across model refreshes. The F30 335i had 300hp, and this new 235i has 300hp as well.
My point is that that is ultimately a less precise way to look at it since two very different engines can make approximately the same power (since you use approximate output figures) while two different engines will not have the exact same name. Using the engine name also conveys more information - displacement, cylinder count, and technical revision.

But, yes, as long as no B48 makes more power than any B58, and no B58 makes more power than any N68 (set to replace the N63 next decade), thinking of it solely form the perspective of power output will work too.

Quote:
The engine naming is not exactly internally consistent. The 2020 750i has the T3 variant though it is marketed as a 750i rather than an M750i, since there is a M760i occupying the M-Performance slot in the 7 Series line up.
True indeed.

So we can add a rule stating that the M will be omitted from the model name if there is already a higher-trim M Performance model in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I gave up trying to make sense of the model numbers equating to some sort of useful information years ago.
You give up too easily. Although things certainly get more complicated when you throw in all models sold across the world (which includes diesels), hybrids, and soon, pure-electric models, there is a method to the madness.
Appreciate 0