Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whym3 View Post
Need a 4 door sedan, so Get m3 or get A 328 and lease a sports car

m3 DCt sedan with most of options I want it is going to be 71K
Or

buy a 328 for 40k and with the remaining 30k lease a sprts car for 3 years such as Audi TTS or an 09 SLK 350 or a Z4 and still have 5 to 6K in pocket

My thoughts: with 328 u have space for 4 and a dd for work and then for weekend or after work, a sports car to have fun with

ofcourse none of them will be as good as an M3 sedan but might provide more interest/change with diff driving charcteristics and just driving the m3 day in and day out might wear out its appeal

Just thinking thru the scenarios, thats all

Any thoughts?
By "sports car" do you mean a car that go's fast and handles great or do you mean a convertible with two seats? From a purely objective standpoint the M3 is faster and will handle better than the "sports cars" you've listed. If there are more subjective criteria, then you have to drive all the cars to decide if you like the "feel" of the "sports car" you are considering more than the M3. If you don't like the feel of the "weekend car" better than the M3 sedan then I think you get the M3 and be happy seven days a week.

Will owning two cars make driving the weekday car more boring? If that thought doesn't bother you then why a 328? Why not something even cheaper and put more money into the weekend sports car (if you go the "weekends are for fun" route). Objectively, I don't think you can do better than the M3 for 70K IF you need a sedan. Some cars that might "outperform" the M3 and still leave something for a weekday driver might be the Corvette or Elise (other ideas). Either option wouldn't leave much for your weekday sedan.

If you are looking subjectively (something more "fun"), you've got a lot of comparison driving to do because there are a lot of combinations out there for 70K. You should start by driving the cars you've mentioned and letting us know what you think of the comparison.
Appreciate 0