View Single Post
      05-26-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Question Re: LED License Plate Bulbs

I know that when you put an LED bulb in most BMW or MBZ cars, the computer thinks there is a burnt out bulb because the low power draw.

However, does anyone know if every bulb in the BMW will trigger a FAULT on the computer?

I researched the License Plate bulbs (I love the white look of the new Lexus GS License Plate Bulbs):

BMW uses a 6418 5 watt bulb. It's called a FESTOON type bulb. It looks like a narrow glass tube with metal at each end that fits in the socket. Looks like a bullet.

SuperBright LED's, Inc. sells an LED version of this bulb (3910-W6).

I'd buy them if the license plate bulb housing will NOT send a fault with the LED bulbs.

By the way, for any electrical engineers out there: This LED bulb draws 32 mA's of current. I know NOTHING about amps, so I wonder if this would trigger a fault on the car computer.

If we can figure this out, I'm sure there will be a lot of you who will want to change this bulb, especially since it is not expensive and access to change it is really easy.

Thanks for all your help.

Larry in Los Angeles

P.S. I called the bulb company, but they're closed for the holiday. I'll call them on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0