View Single Post
      09-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Great writeup buddy .
I just want to add I left the loosened pipe clamps in place until I had the muffler (at the rear) free from the car, and resting on the jack. That prevents the pipes from falling, since they only need 1/4" of rearward movement for that to happen. Everything else you did was the best way to do it IMO.

I removed the hangers in place, since I was going to replace them with black ones (they require A LOT of force, and I had the differential and muffler for leverage), but should have removed the brackets and install new hangers on the floor before reinstallation (I just painted the muffler, by the way); it was a b*tch, especially the ones at the rear.

Finally, I have a couple of suggestions. One is to file/sand the hanger 'stops' on the inside so the hangers can be removed easier and without damage.
The other is to jack up the car from the differential and insert the ramps, rather than driving the car up the ramps (more wear on the clutch, and there's always the danger of overshooting the ramps ).
Appreciate 0