View Single Post
      10-14-2007, 04:08 AM   #18
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Then why go thru all the trouble with making a prototype South?

Also, what makes you so sure there is no power upgrade planned for the M5? They did it before with the E34 M5...

Look.........BMW says they will never do a lot of things and then after time they do- can you say "Minivan".......oops I mean Progressive Activity Sedan?
Or if you remember back in the 90's nobody thought BMW would commit such heresy and make an SUV..........Which they did- oh, excuse me- it was an SAV called the X5..

Not too long ago everyone SWORE they would NEVER make a turbo car again and then came the 335i....

Fact is, CAFE reg's and customer demands for more efficient cars are making all car companies relook at what they build and sell...........

BMW is no different.
There's no doubt that this prototype has been built for any purpose, we just don't know for which yet. This could be a prototype testing a future M engine (V10 for F10 M5, for X6 etc.) or indeed a prototype for the V8 TT you mentioned which would be for the X6 and F01 7 series. What makes me so sure that there's no power upgrade planned is the fact that there's only one prototype spotted yet (an upgrade of the M5 in the near future would need many more cars for testing) and the fact that the 5 series is right in the second half of its production cycle. There was an LCI already which would have been a good opportunity to do an power upgrade. So I'm convinced that there won't be any more changes to this generation's M5 (Some mentioned an M5 CS model, don't know how much sense that would make). What we most probably see on these pictures is an M5 as "parts test car" for the next generation V10 engine...

BTW BMW M doesn't rule out Turbo cars any more! So - as you said - they will come anytime...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0