View Single Post
      06-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
challer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1Pilot View Post
If there is one thing that is common on almost all car forum posts, its people defending their own purchase decisions as the best possible choice. And they probably are, for them, but not for everyone. I wanted to understand why we would campaign BMW for yet another model instead of focusing on perfecting the ones they have, when there exists a variant close to this spec already.

My 'problem' that people are rare to admit the reasons for their decisions -- cost being a huge one. Instead people seem to claim it is performance the guides their purchase decision, as if they are all these auto purists that could buy a Maclaren, but know the heart and soul of a car is really to be found in an E30.

Every one of these forums is filled with 135 drivers saying their car is just as good as a 1M, 228 and M235s are just as good as the M2 will be, same on the 3-series, the guy who he can win a drag race with his modded 550xi against an M5, etc. Everyone trying to justify their purchase, and yet get a little more closer to the next car up the latter in respect to performance (and luxury -- which sells cars, despite everyone here claiming to eschew those heavy, high end features). It is very, very rare that someone goes down the latter in M cars if we remove the financial consideration.

I bought an M5 because I couldn't swing a 991TTS or GT3; but I will freely admit it. I am considering an M2, but am worried less about the size being small enough, and more about the performance not being high enough. The difference between the M235 and the F80 M3 is 7" in length and 5" in width -- is there really room in there for another model?

I had a BMW about the size of the M235. I loved it, I miss it, but I don't think they can make a 4-door M this size:
You make some good points, but if we're being honest, the M2 isn't going to offer a whole lot more than the M235i for the money. LSD, quad exhuast and a tune with different styling. That's about it.
Appreciate 0