View Single Post
      04-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
I have a different approach. Get some good two way adjustable shocks. Dial in a bunch of compression and see what it does to ride. I have 15 clicks of rebound and compression available. Starting with the shocks valved for the spring, if I can dial in +5 clicks, I need more spring. Once I get the springs dialed in then I can deal with the bar and will generally use the lightest bar possible.
What the heck are you talking about?

Isn't the whole point of tuning your shocks to get to the point of having the shocks valved for the spring? How is it you are starting from that point?

And if your shocks are "valved for the spring", why should you care if you how many clicks you are from either extreme. It sounds like you are just looking for the stiffest spring your shocks can handle. How is this optimizing for anything (not that you mention what you are optimizing for)?

And how exactly do you "get the springs dialed in"? Last time I checked, they don't come with dials.

So Mikeo, I am having trouble seeing this as a "wonderful, straightforward explanation of basic suspension tuning".

I think UR2SLOW1 just wants to alter the balance of his car a bit. He is not going to buy double adjustable shocks, and "dial" full of springs before he looks at his bars. "Basic suspension tuning" means one "basic" change at a time. Changing just the rear bar seems like a good place to start.

But, um, thanks for the advice ...
Appreciate 0