04-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
don't take out the dust shield. I was told the heat may damage the wheel bearings. what you can do is bend the dust shield instead. this will allow more air to circulate around the rotors. only problem is you won't get a perfect bend because of the control arm but what I am planning to do is to use my dremmel and cut around the control arm so I can get a perfect bend where air can rush through. it's a cheap way of getting some extra cooling in there. I will post some pics when I get to do this next week.
I bend my plates also for Track days.. as pixie said I wouldnt remove them entirely, they do have a purpose in life.

my dilema, is do i bend them out and back every track day, or do i leave them bent all the time..

leaving them bent all the time makes the rotor / pad susetiable to increased water when driving normally in the rain, along with stones and small debris etc etc etc .. ( not a good thing IMHO )

to tell you the truth, for us "weekend warriors" we really need a backing plate with a NACA duct built into it that sticks out into the air stream..( and avoids the control arm ) then on non track days we can install some sort of plate to cover the NACA duct and restore the "original" design... Although dedicated brake duct hose and modified plates is the way too go, i just think its too far for weekend warrior guys like us with or Daily driver...