View Single Post
      01-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #42
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
I find it strange that Tony has not commented on this problem, he is usually fast out of the blocks to help with other 335i problems. I don't see how, but maybe I have upset him ??
1 Busy
2 Entertaining 'dancing friends'
3 More busy

Perceived DSC issues are very common during winter months, because the differences between DSC activation and non-activation are so much more pronounced. As has already been said, the DSC system is almost constantly working to control the back wheels and to prevent loss of traction, in either the linear axis (as in direction of travel) or in the transverse axis (side to side motion). The DSC's first option is to selectively brake one or more wheels in order to minimise wheelspin. If this is not sufficient, the DSC system will then progressively shut down the throttle to reduce power until suitable grip levels have been regained.

In the current weather conditions, the DSC system will always work more than during warm summer months, and because of this greater intervention the difference between throttle response with DSC on and off is much greater, and hence more noticeable to the driver.

There is another element that shouldn't be overlooked - throttle adaptations of the car. The car learns how the driver uses the throttle, and if it senses that the driver demands a more aggressive throttle application under normal driving conditions, the ECU will adapt accordingly and deliver more go with less pedal travel. This therefore means that power delivery is more sudden, and this can have an effect on DSC activation, especially when the weather is how it is now.

It could be that your car is electronically aggressive with throttle application, and the DSC is having to intervene in a more active fashion, hence why you feel that there is a poor response. Ask your dealer if they would reset the ECU adaptations - it's an easy process and might alleviate some of the issues you are experiencing.
Appreciate 0