09-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer01 View Post
This type of set-up looks good, and sounds great when the trunk is open, but you can't go too loud with the volume or gain with the trunk closed or it can get kinda rattly (is that a word?). Don't get me wrong, there is a ton more bass than the factory system puts out, but as has been stated in some of the threads I've read the trunks in these cars are very well insulated so in order to get the sound into the cabin, you have to pump up the volume a little and then you get some rattles from the parcel shelf, trunk, etc. I'm still working on getting everything "tweaked" as far as the settings, but I'm very happy with the set-up. The only other options I can think of would be a sub facing the other direction that would fire through the ski pass, but they say that actually sounds worse??? And then there is the SWS-8 upgrade which is probably the best sounding, but you can't see it. Just my .02 cents so far.
You are correct, it looks very nice and clean, but this type of set-up has a tendency of trapping most of the sound waves in the trunk and creating excessive panel vibrations. So most of the energy never leaves the trunk.

To cut down on vibrations, have you tried engaging the amp's high pass filter? I would try 40Hz and see if that improves anything.

Also, are you powering the OEM underseat subs at all?
Appreciate 0