View Single Post
      03-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
yes the pad has a significant effect on the bbk but for bbk itself in terms of quality, price, etc.

the gtr brembos are in a league of their own so lets stick with the gts for now

before someone asks here you go:

There are a few differences that distinguish a GTR from a GT caliper :
1. GTR calipers are forged, GT calipers are cast. Because of this manufacturing difference, the GTR caliper can be made to have a slimmer profile, allowing it to clear more wheels. This difference also makes the GTR caliper lighter, stronger and stiffer.
2. The GTR calipers are anywhere from 1.4 to 2 lbs. lighter than the equivalent cast GT calipers.
Both of these statements were once true, but Brembo now makes a forged monoblock 1-piece 6 piston front and 4 piston rear, which evens it up a bit.

I've had Brembos on every car I have ever owned. Never a problem. Replacing the pads is as simple as calling your Brembo dealer and asking for Ferodo pads. We sell them to customers all the time, never had a problem getting them.

From my experience, Brembo's price is high because they develop the technology and do the R&D that everyone then piggybacks off of. This means that besides being the most reputable company in the braking industry (and the undisputed world-leader), Brembo is always at the cutting-edge, since 9 times out of 10, they are the ones developing the latest technology.

I'm far too swamped today to draft up a whole long response, but Brembo has been an innovator since it's inception. Who discovered that 6 piston designs were more effective than 8 or even 12 piston designs? Brembo. Who made the first monoblock calipers? Brembo. Who developed Carbon Ceramic brakes? Brembo. You get the idea...

Ultimately, when a customer asks me why I recommend they choose Brembo, my response is always this:
The masterminds at Lamborghini, Mclaren, AMG, Ferrari, Porsche, Range Rover, Aston Martin, Nissan, Mistubishi, Subaru, etc etc know better than I do. If they choose Brembo over any other manufacturer for their brakes, there must be something to it. You can argue that they do it for pricing, but that doesn't really apply when Brembo is A) more expensive than most other brands and B) used on cars where no expense has been spared... SL65's, Mclaren SLRs, Lamborghini's... A $2-3,000 difference is nothing when you're spending $400K.

Brembo is the only way to go in my opinion. They even make the brakes for most of the aftermarket tuners out there.
JL
Appreciate 0