View Single Post
      02-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #18
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
Maybe it is a case of something being great on paper but lousy in the real world. Shouldn't something 'designed for the track' be faster than something that is not?
In the hands of the same person with the same setup sure. You put to different people even "instructor" level people in two different cars and try and use that for a comparison and you're just a fool, let alone the likely differences in tires, brake compounds, setups, and overall effort being put forth by the driver. Any "instructor" level person should be able to tell you that. The ones who know would just laugh and brush aside a statement like that comparing cars as it's ridiculous.

As an example the second track event in my coupe where I was still even feeling out the car I was much faster then an "instructor" with years of experience in the same car. Wow I must be a pro (or not)!!! Except he had different tires and brake compounds which alone made for a good sized gap in performance not related to skill. I'm also sure I was driving with more effort.

It's just ignorant to compare in this way even if the other driver is known to have plenty of experience.