View Single Post
      06-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Regardless of recirc or vent-to-atmosphere, you will hear the bov sound, it's just a matter of how loud it is. The type of bov will also determine the type of sound you get. Some gets a clean swoooshh sound, others gets a nice valve flopping sound. Personally, I love the sound of the bov, I miss it. I had a greddy Type-S bov on my last car venting to atmosphere, and I can't get enought of it.

The thing about venting to atmosphere is that the car's map/mas sensor that reads volume of incoming air will be "confused". The sensor reads a certain amount of air traveling through the intake and sends the signal to the ECU to allow it to calculate the amount of fuel to mix in. When the bov releases that air into the atmosphere all of sudden, you'll run very rich as the ecu is injecting the amount of fuel that was suppose to mix with the air you just vented. This means you'll probably stall your engine.

The way I went around it was replacing the OE ECU with an aftermarket standalone racing ecu that doesn't utilize the same type of air volume sensor. I switched to GM 2 BAR MAP sensor and GM Air Intake Temp sensor. This allowed the VTA mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoat
are BOVs bad for the engine... will it mess it up in the long run?
For a turbo car, not having a bov is bad for the turbo, and in terms it also effects the engine. The reason, also previously mentioned in this thread, is that as you abruptly let off on the throttle, all the air compressed by the turbo getting shoved into your engine is all of a suddent without a place to go. This pressure immediately backs to your turbine, and when this happens one too many times, the turbine fails. When the turbine fails and the turbo assembly breaks, you might get parts shooting down the intake pipe into your engine, and it should be pretty obvious that can't be good for the engine.