jayee88
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (DCT) - Sunset Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH_ View Post
I will add to the crankhub discussion just one datapoint....
I purchased my 2020 M2C from a BMW Services Tech Lead at a Florida BMW dealership. I asked him,in his experience, how many S55 cars have come through with the crankhub slipping. He said in all the years only 3 cars....2 DCT & 1 Manual ('15, '16, '18 so all S55 M3/M4s). All tuned, but what level of tune I dont know. He also indicated even if the crankhub slipped the chances of needing a whole new engine are slim. His words...
They aren't interference engines. So even if it fully Jumps timing it won't need an engine.
That's the opinion of one service tech at one dealership. Most people who are tuned and have something as big as a crank hub failure will not even go to the dealership because they won't be able to install an aftermarket crank hub. The former BMW master tech at the shop I got my PPI done at told me he had gotten in 3 in the past year and has had many come in over the years. He was in the camp of the DCT aggressively shifting being the cause of most spun crank hubs (even stock). I've heard several independent shops echo this... could they just be trying to up-sell people on an unneeded mod? Sure. But this shop strongly recommended against doing it and instead just buying an extended warranty if I was enjoying the car stock, which added credibility to his statement.

I ended up doing the crank hub recently because I'm tuned and $3-4k insurance for a possible $15k+ months long headache sounds good in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 Mew2 View Post
I have a 2019 model year and the build is 10/2018, so does that mean it can be done completely remotely without removing my DME?
Plug in an OBDII to ethernet cable or WIFI ENET adapter and connect to BM3 or MHD. They will tell you if a bench unlock is needed. In my experience it seems like 03/2019 manufacture date was the cutoff for not needing a bench unlock, but I've head of some pre 03/19's getting locked by the dealers if you bring them in to do a software update.
Appreciate 0