Thread: Navy thread
View Single Post
      12-13-2023, 09:29 AM   #279
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
There were also four other Talos-armed cruisers in U.S. Navy service, but they had Talos launchers only on a single end: the aft part of the ship.

Three ships were converted from light cruisers and retained some 6-inch guns:
-- USS Galveston (CLG 3), which retained the two original 6-inch triple gun turrets forward but replaced the after 6-inchers with Talos.
-- USS Little Rock (CLG 4) and USS Oklahoma City (CLG 5), which had a similar Talos installation as Galveston but lost one of their 6-inch turrets forward and had enlarged superstructures. Both these cruisers served for many years as flagships, embarking the staffs of the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean and the Seventh Fleet in the Western Pacific and both were retired in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

One ship was the nuclear-powered missile cruiser USS Long Beach (CGN 9), the first nuclear surface ship. The Long Beach had two twin Terrier launchers up forward and a single twin-arm Talos launcher aft. Like the Albany class cruisers, a couple of 5-inch guns were added very late in the design process as insurance; it would not do to have the pride of the U.S. Navy run out of missiles and be sunk by a patrol boat! The Long Beach underwent an extensive modernization in 1980-83 which included removal of the Talos missile system.

I had a friend who served on the Long Beach and I visited the ship in 1984. The superstructure was so tall that there was a passenger elevator to get from below up to the bridge. I also visited the former Talos missile magazine spaces: They were huge and mostly empty and used as a very large compartment for basketball in port.
Attached Images

JJ 911SC22997.50
3798j11662.00