Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Family Sedan

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
6.9 qts is the correct amount for an empty engine, which it was for its factory fill. And on the track I'd much rather have 6.4 qts than 7.4 qts.
Source for this information that the quantity we’re informed is what was factory filled, and not the capacity during change? First time I hear anyone say that.

You are way overthinking this.

And the 7.4 quarts example is a strawman argument, since no one is talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
There are very good reasons NOT to add what is indicated as capacity, that is to avoid overfilling. There is always some residue left, and it can vary. I've always changed my own oil on all my vehicles and never have been able to add the indicated "capacity" when bringing it up to full.
So you’re saying following the manual ends in overfilling, that’s a first as well as hearing that you could never fill it up with capacity before.

I’ve been doing my own oil changes in BMWs without dipsticks for several years and hundreds of thousands of kilometres and never once overthought about this… 7 quarts/6.5 litres and you’re good to go.

I guess the old adage that oil discussions are never ending rings true here. There’s always something new coming up… I’ll see myself out
Appreciate 0